Information on renewing your 2018 registered social worker status
SASW has been given responsibility for professional self-regulation by The Social Workers Act. With this comes the responsibility for protection of the public and to ensure strict requirements for registration. Accordingly, SASW has a set of specific requirements for applicants to maintain their yearly registration. The requirements for designation as a registered social worker and the privilege of being able to use the title “social worker” are set by The Social Workers Act , by-laws of the Association, and SASW Council policies. The SASW Registrar has been delegated the responsibility pursuant to Section 22(1) of The Social Workers Act, for the admission of persons as members and the issuing of registration licences. The material and information required of members is collected so that the Registrar can form a conclusion about the applicant’s capacity to practice social work with personal and professional integrity, honesty and in accordance with the law, including but not limited to The Social Workers Act and the by-laws of the Association.
All members are required to complete the online renewal form and submit payment by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) or Interact (Debit) by December 1, 2017 .
Gaining Access to SASW Online System/Website
SASW's website can be only be viewed when using one of the newer versions of Internet Explorer (IE 9, 10 and 11), as well as any of the updated versions of alternate web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari. Those with Microsoft's XP operating systems can install one of the self-updating browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. Those with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 should have the ability to view SASW website as they come installed with compatible versions of Internet Explorer (IE9, IE10).
2018 Registration Fee Schedule
| Full Time Registration: $360
|| Part Time Registration: $225
| Non-Practicing Registration: $92
|| Affiliate Membership: $74
- Between December 2nd and December 31st , a late payment fee of $15 will automatically be applied to your registration renewal
- A reinstatement fee of $50 will automatically be applied for all applications completed on or after January 1st .
Issuing of Official Income Tax Receipts/Licences
Official income tax receipts and licences will be mailed to members when the renewal application has been completed, all fees have been paid in full and when the Registrar has approved your online renewal and continuing education activities.
If you are being reimbursed by your employer, you may want to consider submitting your online renewal well before the December 1st deadline to ensure that your renewal can be approved/processed and the official income tax receipt and licence can then be mailed to you before
Christmas. Once you receive your official income tax receipt and licence, from the SASW office, you can submit it to your employer for reimbursement.
Instructions to assist with completing online renewal/registration:
Step 1 - Member Login
Go to www.sasw.ca and click on Member Services Login (orange button) to enter your username and password. Once you have entered the username and password, you will be taken to your Member Home Page (portal) where you can see the information that SASW has in its online system, and find links that will take you to pages where you can update or enter new information.
- If you do not remember/have your username and password, you must retrieve this information by entering the email that you have in the SASW online system. The online system will send your username/password directly to this email.
- You were provided with this email in a package that was mailed to you. If you no longer use this email or you have changed your email, you will need to notify the SASW Office ( email@example.com ) of a change to your email. The office will then make the change within the online system so you can retrieve your username/password. To avoid late charges and the delay of your registration, please ensure that you do this well before the December 1st deadline.
- For confidentiality/security reasons, the SASW office cannot provide usernames and passwords over the telephone or through email requests.
Step 2: Reporting of Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
- To enter your CPE activities, from the Member Home Page (portal) click on Enter CONTINUING EDUCATION ACTIVITY RECORD . Select the appropriate category for each activity and enter the information as required.
- You must enter activities in at least two categories and the hours must total a minimum of 40 hours.
- The Appendix 1 - Definitions/Recording Requirements for Continuing Professional Education Activities which was mailed to you will assist you with recording your CPE activities. - Once you have entered a minimum of 40 hours of CPE activities, in two of the three categories, you will be given the ONLINE RENEWAL link.
- The reporting of a minimum of 40 hours of CPE is mandatory for individuals who were practicing members (full time or part time) in 2017 as per the enclosed SASW Continuing Education Policy. You will not be able to complete the renewal process until the continuing education requirement has been met.
- If in 2017 you were n on-practicing or a new member , you are EXEMPT from reporting continuing education for 2018 renewal year; therefore, you will not get the Continuing Education Link. You can proceed directly to Step 3 (ONLINE RENEWAL).
- If you have questions about the categories of CPE reporting, you can access the Q&A document on the SASW website under the Membership tab ( http://sasw.ca/site/professionalEducation ).
Members are asked to keep copies of their supporting documentation (brochures, certificates, receipts, etc.) as you could be randomly selected for audit by the Registrar who may request that you submit documents to the SASW Office for verification.
Step 3 - Completing Online Renewal Link
Once you have entered your continuing education activities, the system will automatically give you the ONLINE RENEWAL link. Click on the ONLINE RENEWAL link to complete the renewal form. This will take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As you scroll through the personal information that has been entered into the system, please check for data accuracy. If any of your personal information needs to be edited/updated, click on the field that requires editing/updating and make the necessary change(s).
Once you have updated your member profile including your employment data, you will continue within the ONLINE RENEWAL link to select your 2018 registration category, answer regulatory questions, and finally when you have completed all sections on the renewal form, the SECURE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT screen will appear. In order to complete the online renewal, you must make your payment at this time using Visa/MasterCard/Interact.
If you require a change to your name or educational data, the following is required:
a) Last Name/First Name - The Registrar requires that you complete the SASW Change of Name Form which is located on your Member Home Page (portal) . Once completed, the form is sent electronically to the SASW Office where a staff member will make this change.
Please note that the name you are registered under should be the same name that you use in practice.
b) Education Data - If you have obtained another degree and want this entered into the SASW online system, members are required to order a transcript indicating that the credential has been awarded and conferred. This transcript must be sent directly to the SASW Office from the academic institution where the credential was received. The SASW office will make the change to your educational data once the transcript has been received.
- You cannot save information within the ONLINE RENEWAL link and come back later to make the registration fee payment.
- If your employer normally pays for your registration, you will need to pay first and then be reimbursed.
- If you do not have a personal credit card, you can purchase loadable ones from most Canada Post outlets, at drug stores and/or financial institutions.
- You have access to your Member Home Page throughout the year and can update your personal information any time if there are changes. Please make sure that you keep your home address and email address current in the system so that the SASW office can communicate with you throughout the year.
If you have questions about the renewal process, members are encouraged to visit the SASW website (Frequently Asked Questions) http://sasw.ca/site/faq-rsw or you can call the SASW office at (306) 5456877 and we will be pleased to assist you.