Тhe Saskatchewan Association of Social Workers was established in October 1962 and was incorporated under the Societies Act on December 1, 1962. The purpose in forming the association was to provide the two existing branches in the province with a means for working together to accomplish the aims and objectives of the profession of social work in the province as a whole. Also, it was seen as an effective means of improving communication between these two small organizations and CASW. Thus, SASW became an organizational member of CASW, adopted its Code of Ethics, and provided a representative to the National Board of CASW.
Statistics for 1963 indicated an active membership of 83 distributed among four branches (Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, and Regina). Today, SASW has over 1700 registered social workers and a number of branches/interest groups.